The mission of BLSA is to increase the number of culturally responsible Black and minority attorneys who excel academically, succeed professionally, and positively impact the community. We strive to:
- Articulate and promote the educational, professional, political, and social needs and goals of Black law students;
- Foster and encourage professional competence;
- Improve the relationship between Black law students, Black attorneys, and the American legal structure;
- Instill in the Black attorney and law student a greater awareness and commitment to the needs of the Black community;
- Influence the legal community by bringing about meaningful legal and political change that addresses the needs and concerns of the Black community;
- Adopt and implement policies of economic independence;
- Encourage Black law students to pursue careers in the judiciary; and,
- Do all things necessary and appropriate to accomplish these purposes.
Any student enrolled in an accredited law school is eligible to join.